Wild Mushroom, Ramson & Thyme Risotto
This quick, easy and delicious wild mushroom risotto makes a great weekday meal for the whole family. We made this dish using fresh foraged Cauliflower Fungus, wild thyme, and some frozen chopped Ramsons from the freezer, but you could make it with any other choice mushroom(s) you fancy. It made two large pans, plenty to easily feed 4-6 people.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: None
- 300g Arborio Rice
- 1 x Knob of Butter
- 100g Pre-cooked Pearl Barley
- 1 x finely chopped Red Onion
- 200g roughly chopped Cauliflower Fungus
- 100g Sliced Pancetta
- 2.5L Hot Chicken Stock
- Splash of white wine
- 1 x large cube of chopped frozen Ramsons
- A few sprigs of chopped Wild Thyme
- 25g grated Pecorino cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in large, high sided frying pan.
- Sauté the onion until soft, then add the cauliflower fungus and pancetta, cooking until browned.
- Add the Arborio rice and fry for a 1-2 minutes, then add a Good glug of white wine.
- Add just enough hot stock to cover the rice, then cook, stirring frequently and adding a little more stock whenever the rice begins to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When the rice is tender, stir-in the pre-cooked pearl barley, thyme, and chopped ramsons, and season to taste.
- Sprinkle with Pecorino and chopped Ramsons to serve.