Chicken, Pancetta & Wild Leek Pie
This chicken, pancetta and wild leek pie is one of our favourite dishes. It brings together the wonderful flavours of chicken, pancetta and a few spring greens to create a hearty and very moreish pie. Perect for a Spring sunday lunch! The greens we use are Wild Leek, Wild Garlic and Jack-by-the-Hedge, also known as Garlic-Mustard, but you can use different herbs depending on the season, such as Wild Thyme or Mugwort.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 1 Large Pie
- 500g Chicken breast or thighs, cubed
- 100g sliced Pancetta rashers
- One large handful of freshly chopped Wild Leek
- One small handful of freshly chopped Wild Garlic
- 2-3 fresh Garlic-Mustard leaves, chopped
- Cream 300ml.
- Cooking oil for frying
- One Chicken Stock Cube
- 1 x pre-rolled Puff Pastry sheet
- 1 x egg, lightly whisked, for egg wash
- Pre-Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Add the chicken, pancetta, wild leek, wild garlic and garlic-mustard to a large frying pan with a little oil. Fry until the chicken is golden brown.
- Stir in the cream to make a rich pie filling and simmer for 1-2 minutes to ensure the chicken is cooked through.
- Crumble the Chicken Stock Cube into the filling and stir until the chicken stock is dissolved.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the pie filling into a large pie dish.
- Using a rolling pin, cover the pie dish with a pre-rolled puff pastry sheet, cutting off any overlapping pastry from around the edges of the dish. Alternatively, you can cut the sheet into slices and create a latticed lid. If you're a skilled pastry-chef (which we are not!), you can line your pie dish with a short crust pastry base before adding the filling and puff-pastry lid.
- Paint the pastry lid with the egg-wash and bake the pie in the oven for 30-40 mins until the pastry is golden-brown.
- Serve with steamed vegetables and mashed potato.